Some Advice when searching for your Driving Instructor – Please remember that often paying less you will get less
I have detailed here what I feel are the top ten qualities your Driving Instructor should demonstrate so as to ensure that your Driving Lessons are a success.
1. Patience: – I think that it is imperative that your instructor is patient with you, you will need somebody that can put up with the mistakes that you will inevitably make whilst learning to drive.
2. Reliability: – Please note that your Instructor is not your friend. You should expect your instructor to arrive on time, in a suitable vehicle and in a reasonable frame of mind for your lesson.
3. Punctuality: – is a very important quality for your instructor to have, of course you want a full Driving Lesson. It is very frustrating if your instructor constantly arrives late for your lessons. (I experienced this first hand many years ago)
4. Honesty: – Naturally you will want to save some money so you will in some cases pay for lessons in advance. You must be able to trust your instructor to deliver those lessons once you have paid for them.
5. Opinionated: – Dictionary definition is being, ‘obstinate, fixed in your opinions’. This is clearly a positive type of character for an approved Driving Instructor. There is no value to having an instructor who changes their mind all the time and at the end of each lesson when you are being given the low-down on your mistakes in that lesson by your instructor, you need to have open and honest feedback as to what your stronger areas skills are and where you make your worst errors. These lessons are not a democracy. You are here to learn to drive.
6. Diplomacy: – It is important that your Instructor offers you a good balance during your lessons; if they continually upset you during the course of your tuition you will feel unhappy and frustrated. You should have positive reinforcement and encouragement throughout you course of your lessons with them.
7. Studiousness: – A good teacher is always on the lookout for ways to improve their own performance. Including; better or just different ways to explain things to you by way of totally new approaches to age old problems. This is an evolving subject area where you and your Driving Instructor will learn some things together.
8. Restraint: – Your Driving Instructor has to demonstrate this. You are young and clever and your Driving Instructor knows nothing, you know more than he or she. Your Driving Instructors opinions on things other than your Driving Lessons and you learning to Drive, do not matter
9. Self control: – Your instructor has dual controls, they should not keep their feet twitching above them all the time as this will unsettle you and make you feel that you are having wasted Driving Lesson. Caution is good but they should not overdo it.
10. Discipline: – Your Driving Instructor should demonstrate a level of personal discipline in making certain that they and the car are always ready for your Driving Lessons. They should show professional discipline by making sure that they always give you the best quality Driving Instruction they can give you even when they don’t feel like it no matter how good the reason. You have after all paid a lot of money for these lessons.